Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Mom, can you scatch my back?

I'm in the kitchen, making dinner and my son is sitting at the table doing his homework.  From time to time,  I pause to help him and check his progress.  He's starting to lag a bit and he knows it.  "Mom?  I need a break.  Can you scratch my back?"  I walk over, he puts his head down on his arms and I give him a good, but brief back-scratch.  Determination restored, he says "Thanks Mom" and continues with his work.

Some nights, after lights out - but I'm still up, I'll walk past his room and I'll hear a soft voice ask "Mom?  Will you scratch my back to make me sleepy?"  I walk in and he flops over onto his belly, all his numerous fleecy blankets in a jumbled nest around him.  Sitting on the side of his bed, the soft glow of his nightlight barely illuminates a face so sweet and perfect.  I begin to scratch his back and watch as his face relaxes even more toward sleep.  Finishing, I tuck his blankets up around his shoulders the way he likes and start to walk softly out of his room...behind me I hear his soft voice "Thanks Mom. Love you."

I love you too bubby...more than you will ever know.

1 comment:

  1. Aww Jonah what a sweetie pie. I smiled as I read this because if you walk into Jaylin's room on any given night he is covered up with several blankets. Half the time his head is peaking out the top or the other half he is fully covered up lol.

    ReplyDelete