Friday, May 8, 2009

Running...

My son and his sister have recently started running in a Y youth program.  End goal, to run a 5 k by summer!  So far so good after two meetings.  My daughter isn't quite as enthused about it as my son (she takes after me LOL), but my son informed me "I like running!!!"  Dad is very happy!

With his motor skill issues, my son is not the most coordinated or fast on the reflexes...but both my husband and I feel that it is important to exercise his mind as well as his body.  Still, I have been reluctant to sign him up for the more competitive kids sports leagues in our area (cost is also a factor...why are kids sports so expensive??? Topic for another day, different blog).

So, we have found ways to encourage him to be athletic - swimming, karate and running are three wonderful things that allow him to be a part of youth sports and play to his strengths.  These are things he is good at, as good as his peers if not better.  That sense of accomplishment and pride he gets will go a long way as he gets older.  I hope too, that it will help maintain his naturally self confident personality as he matures - esp. during the teen years, when self confidence and social acceptance aren't always so easy to come by.

No comments:

Post a Comment