Wednesday, July 7, 2010

First Solo Trip Away From Home

My son is in the Boy Scouts.  This coming Sunday, he will be leaving with his pack for a weeks stay in a state park, just over three hours away.  This is his first ever trip away from home (other than an overnight at a friend's house).  Neither my husband or I will be joining him.  My husband will be away for a two week National Guard drill, so that leaves me the solo parent at home, with our other two children.

The adults in the group are aware that he has Aspergers.  The kids, some understand and don't think twice about it.  Others politely ignore him.  Only one, purposely tries to bother him.  We've made them all aware of what Asperger's means when it comes to our son and what to keep an eye out for (mostly his wandering attention span).

I know that he and the other boys will be kept busy from the time they wake up till the time they go to sleep with various activities and events.  I know that the older Scouts will be acting as mentors to the younger - so there will be additional eyes watching over my son and the other boys.  But still, I'm his Mom and I worry:

About bears, bullying and how vigilant the lifeguards are.

Will the other boys include him?

Will anyone be mean to him?

Will he remember to use his bug spray?

Will he lose his flashlight?

Will he behave?

But most of all, will he have fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment