Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Punch On The Nose

Today was a hard day for me. I have a severely autistc boy in my am/pm school age program. He makes my son look like Mr. Perfectly Well Adjusted. A few times he has gotten upset and has slapped out at me or tried to hit me, but we were always able to deflect him or divert him. Well, today, he caught me totally off guard and hauled off and punched me in the nose! I wasn't hurt badly, he's 7 after all...but my son was flipping out. I was more bothered by the idea that my son thought I was hurt, than being hurt. But it really brings home, what a dice game Autism is...here is my son, so on the edge of "normal..." and then there is this boy, who is locked inside his brain...unable to process correctly, the world around him. That hurt more than the punch on the nose.

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't it amaze you how wide the spectrum is. I am sorry that he hit you but in a way it was better you than someone who does not understand autism. There is so many judgemental people in the world that will make judgement on that boy seeing him at is worst, they will only think of him that way instead of seeing the good and the ugly. I feel bad for the parent(s) because their is no guidance to help with controlling the behaviors. I have had a long road of teaching myself strategies that would work and help Jaylin when he gets like that. I remember that he was about that age when a lot of his behavior issues started. I look back and reflect on how much he has really grown up and gotten control of himself and his emotions.

    ReplyDelete