Wednesday, April 1, 2009

What I'm Aware Of...

to kick off Autism Awareness month, I have a few thoughts:

1. We are only just beginning to discover what causes Autism.

2. My son is not damaged.

3. I'd rather laugh, than cry.

4. Autism is truly a spectrum, no two children are the same in their diagnosis.

5. I've found new levels of patience...as well as new things that tick me off LOL.

6. Its even more important to raise expectations for a Autistic child, than it is for a neuro-typical one.

7.  On the flip side of that, I have to remember to give myself a break in my own self expectations as a parent.

8.  My son is beautiful, amazing and perfect just as he is.

9.  If I knew then what I know now, I still would not hesitate to vaccinate him.

10.  That Kirby and Wakefield should have to answer for the harm they've caused.

1 comment:

  1. http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2009/04/i_really_wish_this_were_an_april_fools_d.php

    From the Time interview (linked to in the above article): "If you ask a parent of an autistic child if they want the measles or the autism, we will stand in line for the f___ing measles."

    Um...no Jenny, not all of us would. Last time I checked, measles KILLS people...Autism doesn't.

    ReplyDelete